First things first, you always want to refer to your owner manual for your equipment to check about specifics pertaining to your specific equipment. The knowledge in this article pertains to 2017 to 2018 Yamaha Waverunner EX’s and VX’s as well as 2014 to 2016 Yamaha Waverunner VX’s. Though, most ideas will apply to most any equipment being operated on salt water daily.
The idea behind maintenance is to extend the life of your equipment. At a jet ski rental business, the jet skis are the life of the business. They’re a very large investment, so getting the most potential profit from them while also showcasing the best equipment in the area to your customers is very important.
Maintenance is usually done at the end of the day to the waverunners that were operated that day. This daily maintenance is necessary because of the salt water that the skis are ran through is very corrosive. (Fresh water would be far less corrosive and therefore there would be different procedures for it.) It needs to be performed with the boat(s) out of the water, either on a dry dock or trailer.
What you will need: waterhose connected to fresh water, a shut off valve, a flush hose attachment for your equipment (does vary), rags, a bucket, boat soap, sponge
Daily maintenance checklist:
- Remove all seats from all used equipment
- Flush engine by attaching flush hose to the shut off valve connected to the water hose. With the water off, attach flush hose to waverunner. Turn the engine on and then the water on and run engine for approximately 2 minutes. Then turn the water OFF first and then the engine. NEVER allow the water to be on with the engine off. This will cause serious damage to your equipment.
- LIGHTLY mist all engines with fresh water
- Wipe down engine with rag to remove water and residual salt (pay special attention to oil filter)
- Spray silicone spray all over engine
- Check oil
- Inspect battery terminals for corrosion
- Replace seats
- Rinse outside of ski with fresh water
- Wash outside of ski with boat soap
- Rinse ski
Performing these steps every time the ski operates in the salt water will insure that the equipment will last longer and with less corrosion.